Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Getting To Know Your Fellow Trail Runner--ENDURANCE DECALS

Okay, Today we have Kevin from Endurance Decals to share with us his passion for creating decals for us crazy trail runners. If you want your favorite decal, email him ASAP! We are already coming up with plenty of ideas here at DFL =) Thank you Kevin!!!!

Kevin, 

Thanks for joining us here at DFL. I hope you are well!

What brought on the great idea of decal creation for the trail/ultrarunning community?
Basically, I couldn't find decals that I liked, outside of the standard 13.1/26.2/etc.. ovals.
I'm a draftsman by trade, so drawing things just comes natural.  I started making designs and buying whole sheet of vinyl and cutting them out by hand.  OUCH!  This worked for a while, until friends and people I would met also wanted a decal or a license plate made...
After a while I realized that if I was going to continue doing this, I was going to need an actual vinyl cutter. So I purchased a new computer/cutter and came up with the name Endurance Decals.
But for me, this is still just a hobby and a place to meet and chat with people about running...
How long have you been involved in endurance running?
I started cycling (road racing) in 1986, and did a little running off and on here and there.  Only a 5k or two a year.
In 2000 I started doing allot more mountain biking and was introduced to trail running by a few friends.
But it wasn't until 2011 I ran my first trail race.  It was the 11mile option to a 50k called Stump Jump in Chattanooga, TN.    http://www.rockcreek.com/stumpjump.rco
It was very eye-opening.  I found that trail runners, although they were at a "race", were very laid back and fun to be around.  Not as competitive as other sports I've been involved in.  During your run you could be talking to the race winner one minute, and the guy that will come in last the next minute, and you would never know the difference...trail runners are just good people to be around!  After that race I started to increase my mileage little by little.
I ran my first road marathon in January of 2012, then my first 50k trail race in December of 2012.
Since then I've run 4 more 50k's. 
I always say, I'm not a racer...I'm a FINISHER! 

What are your favorite decals that people have asked you to make?
I make a decal that says "If the bone ain't showing, keep on going!"
This one is my favorites, because no matter what sport your in, it fits!
I've been at the end of my limits and just thinking about this phrase, makes you suck it up and dig deeper.

Do you get inspiration from some of these decals?
From the one listed above, "If the bone ain't showing, keep on going!"...and pretty much all of them!
Sometimes people comment on what a great ideas I come up with... The truth is, I can't really take credit for most of the ideas, they come from everyone out there on the trails.  I get request daily with different ideas for my next decals. 
I have to admit, some of them are pretty funny!
You’re from the South and I am a Yankee, what are a few good 50Ks, 50 and 100 milers that you can recommend?
I've never run beyond a 50k...so i don't have much experience with 50 & 100 milers.  But I can list a few in our area.

http://www.tashka50k.com/
As far as 50k's go... Tashka 50k in Tuscaloosa, AL is the best.  I ran the 25k option two years to build up my confidence, then in 2012 it was my first 50k.  I went back with a few friends in 2014 and ran the 50k again.  For some of them, it was there first ultra, but we all agreed that it is a great race.
Well supported & 90% singletrack. It has some rocks, roots, hills, everything that trail runners love.

http://www.ms50.com/
This race is held in Laurel, MS in March.  Because of the time of year, it is always muddy, and can range in temps below freezing to almost 80degrees...you never know what you will get.
There is a 20k, 50k, and 50M options.  All distances can be changed up or down, just by stopping by the start/finish line and asking them to switch you.  Always have nice swag and the people that put it on are top notch...
http://forgeracing.net/2013-cajun-coyote/http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=19050
I have a few friends that have run there 100miler at the Cajun Coyote  in Ville Platte, Louisiana.
Even if you have a bad day on the trails, you are sure to have a good time with these folks! 

What is your current training look like?
I'm currently mountain biking for the next few months.  I started having some pains in my right foot (plantar?) after my January 50k, and I suffered through my March 50k at MS50, and  decided to do a little rehab this year.  So I built up a single speed mountain bike and I'm currently enjoying the trails on two wheels.  Hopefully I'll be healed up by the end of summer and ready to get ready for another fall 50k..or more?

What races do you have coming up?
I am not currently registered for any races the rest of this year.  But I'm looking at doing a 50mile mountain bike race in September called the Skool of Hard Nox 50.   I raced it a few years ago, but with all the running I've been doing, I haven't had much time on the bike. 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Skool-of-Hard-Nox-50-mountain-bike-race/310557625666993
Ruffner Mountain High Crusher Ridge 21K/42K just outside of Birmingham, AL. 
Very tough course...probably do it again this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgA4N8NdA9Y

And now for a little speed game (If you are into some speed type of stuff)
“10 questions  in 60 seconds”
1.       Favorite length of race? 
50k
2.       Favorite trail race? 
Tashka 50k  www.tashka50k.com

3.       Favorite season to run (yeah we know you have no winter =) )
WINTER! Summers are brutal in the south.  Not only the high humidity, but the snakes and ticks.  So I prefer the winter...  ;-)
4.      What is your dream race? 
          Hmmm... I don't really have a dream race in mind.
    But, I would love to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail one day.
5.       Hills or technical flats? 
Technical flats (with a few hills to break it up)..  ;-)
6.       Trail club?
The MS-Fits Trail Running Tribe. 
Trail running is not very big around where I live.  So we don't have much interest in it.
A small group of us that run trails together came up with a name for our little band of misfits...
"The MS-Fits Trail Running Tribe."
MS for Mississippi.  Misfits fit well, because that's what we are.
And the "tribe" because we don't pay dues... That would make us a club.  HAHA!!
7.       Music on the run? If so, what is your poison?
If I'm alone yes.   Anything that makes you move...
Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle...
8.       Thoughts on that summer humidity?
Hate it! 
9.       Do you incorporate any strength training into your preparation?
Not really.  With two young boys, I'm lucky to squeeze my runs in most weeks, but mountain biking is great strength training.  One of the reasons I just built up my single speed bike. You have to have allot of leg to turn a single speed gear on the trails.  Great training for strength and cardio...
10.   How many decals do you have on the back of your car?
7.  That's about all I can fit on my window with my rear wiper.
But I have another dozen or so on the rear cargo rack I use when going out of town for a training or racing.  :-)





Bonus question: What's the best part of racing or training on new trails... CAMPING!














1 comment: